Update to the Trades Skills Assessment requirements
Effective 1st March 2019, Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) made changes to the fees, payment process and the employment experience criteria for the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP), Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Skills Assessment Program and Trades Recognition Service (TRS) Trade Skills Assessments. These changes have been implemented across all skills assessing authorities which offer an OSAP or TSS skill assessment.
VETASSESS’ website has already been updated to reflect these changes. Currently, most of the skills assessing authorities have not yet updated their websites with the new requirements.
Changes to fees and application processes
- All assessment fees must now be paid to TRA
- If you are applying for a non-licensed occupation, then you MUST complete a Technical Interview in stage 2 of the assessment.
- If you are applying for a licensed occupation (Electrician, Plumber or Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic), then you MUST complete both a Technical Interview and a Practical Assessment in stage 2 of the assessment.
Changes to the employment experience criteria under the OSAP and TSS Programs
If you are applying for an OSAP or TSS Skills Assessment under Pathway 1 (you do not hold an Australian qualification), the minimum employment experience required is:
- Licensed trade with no formal training – six years of work experience
- Licensed trade with formal training* – four years of work experience
- Non-licensed trade with no formal training – five years of work experience
- Non-licensed trade with formal training* – three years of work experience
You must also have 12 months of work experience in the last 3 years. Work experience does not need to be post qualification.
*‘Formal training’ is training that aligns with the national training standards in the applicant’s country of training. The training must be in the applicant’s Nominated Occupation, or an occupation that is directly related to their Nominated Occupation.
If you are applying for an OSAP or TSS Skills Assessment under Pathway 2 (you hold an Australian qualification), the minimum employment experience required is 3 years full-time experience, including .
- 12 months in the last 3 years.
These changes will apply to applications lodged from 1st March 2019. If you have already lodged a skills assessment application under the mentioned pathways currently pending an outcome, you will not be affected.
The changes may mean charges of up to $5,480 for applications for licensed trades, a significant increase on the previous charges for these assessments. The increased costs make it all the more important to get it right the first time.
Hammond Taylor provides advice and assistance for trade skill assessments. If you would like to speak with us about how we can help, please get in touch.